Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Blog Response to "Killing Time in Iraq" by Colby Buzzell

When I first read Colby Buzzell's "Killing Time in Iraq" his writing style is what caught my attention. His writing is so raw and unfiltered that it just grabs ahold of you and does not let go. Since he is blogging it is more effective than journal writing because it allows other people to connect with Buzzell in a much more personal setting. You find yourself relating to him and you almost get the feeling that you are a fellow soldier ruffing it in the trenches alongside him.

My sister spent a full year in Iraq when the Iraq war first began in 2001 and the stories she told me were unreal. You turn on the news and you know it is a bad situation, but you are so far removed that it is hard to relate. It is only when you hear the story from a soldiers perspective that you realize that you don't know the half of it. I think this is precisely why a publisher would want to publish Buzzell's blogs, because you would be getting the real story and not some polished CNN story where you hear only what the media wants you to know.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Robert,

    I also agree that many of us have the same perspective on how we view Buzzells story. I like how you stated that we get the feeling we are as "fellow soldiers ruffing in the trenches alongside him." His writing was very personal and open as he was our friend. I did find his sense of humor interesting. Its nice to know after everything that he is going through and seeing hasn't made him become a dull person. I find a blog from a real soldier much more interesting because we get the inside scoop. Like you said, the news only covers half of whats really going on. Good job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it has been said a dozen times now between our group that we all came up with similar responses so what's one more going to hurt. I just noticed Iris commented on this as well but I especially like when you say "you almost get the feeling that you are a fellow soldier ruffing it in the trenches alongside him." Well said. You also said how your sister spent time in Iraq. It always makes it more interesting when you can relate to the story like that. My best friends brother was also over there as a medic and his stories are hard for him to even speak about. Good job Robert, I always enjoy reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete